Sirtuins are a family of proteins that play important roles in regulating various cellular processes, including DNA repair, metabolism, inflammation, and stress response. Sirtuins are found in all living organisms, including bacteria, yeast, plants, and animals, and they are highly conserved across species.
Sirtuins function as NAD+-dependent deacetylases or ADP-ribosyltransferases, which means they require the molecule NAD+ as a cofactor to carry out their enzymatic activity. The NAD+ molecule is cleaved by sirtuins, and the resulting ADP-ribose is transferred to specific target proteins, such as histones or transcription factors. This post-translational modification can affect the activity, stability, or localization of the target proteins, thereby regulating their function.
OTHER SIRTUINS AND THEIR IMPORTANCE
There are seven sirtuin genes (SIRT1-7) in mammals, and each has a specific cellular localization and function. SIRT1 is the most well-known and studied sirtuin and is involved in a variety of processes, including DNA repair, metabolism, and inflammation. SIRT1 has been shown to play a role in regulating lifespan in model organisms, and there is evidence to suggest that its activation may have beneficial effects on healthspan in humans as well.
Other sirtuins have been implicated in specific cellular processes. For example, SIRT2 is involved in cell cycle regulation and has been shown to play a role in cancer progression. SIRT3 is localized in the mitochondria and is involved in regulating energy metabolism and reactive oxygen species (ROS) production. SIRT6 is involved in DNA repair and has been shown to play a role in regulating aging-related phenotypes in mice.
The activity of sirtuins can be influenced by a variety of factors, including nutrient availability, stress, and aging. There is evidence to suggest that increasing NAD+ levels through NAD+ supplementation or caloric restriction may enhance sirtuin activity and promote cellular health and longevity.
WHAT ARE SOME NATURAL WAYS TO IMPROVE SIRTUINS?
There are several lifestyle interventions and dietary factors that may naturally improve sirtuin function:
- Caloric restriction: Caloric restriction has been shown to increase sirtuin activity and promote longevity in various model organisms. By reducing calorie intake, cells are placed under mild stress, which can activate sirtuins and enhance cellular health.
- Exercise: Exercise has been shown to increase NAD+ levels and sirtuin activity, which may contribute to the beneficial effects of exercise on healthspan and longevity.
- Supplements: Certain supplements can help! Alpha Ketoglutarate is wonderful for ATP which helps Sirtuin activity. Just read THIS ARTICLE on the TCA cycle.
- Fasting: Fasting has been shown to increase sirtuin activity and promote cellular health. Intermittent fasting, in which individuals alternate between periods of fasting and non-fasting, may also have similar benefits.
- Peptides – definitely indeed to speak with our Redox Medical Team for this one.
There are several natural ways you can improve your own sirtuins without a single prescription needed. We hope this starts the cycle of wonderful life changes ahead so you are able to be stronger, faster, smarter than ever as you age.