Pre and Post Treatment Details
How to Prepare and What to Expect
Ensuring you adhere to pre-treatment instructions is crucial for a seamless
microneedling procedure and for reducing the potential for adverse effects.
- Avoid using topical substances such as retinoids, exfoliants, topical antibiotics, or acids that might enhance skin sensitivity 3 days before your treatment.
- Refrain from consuming anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil at least 3 days before your treatment. Such medications obstruct the essential natural inflammatory response vital for skin rejuvenation
- Steer clear of IPL/Laser procedures and unprotected solar exposure or sunburns at least 2 weeks before your treatment.
- Avoid waxing, utilizing depilatory creams, or undergoing electrolysis on the area to be treated for 5-7 days prior to your treatment.
- Don’t shave on the day your treatment is scheduled to prevent irritation. If dense hair is present in the area to be treated, consider shaving a day before your appointment.
- For those susceptible to cold sores, consider using an antiviral medication 2 days before and on the day of the treatment.
- Avoid blood thinners for 7 days before the treatment due to the high likelihood of bruising as a microneedling side effect.
- AVOID doing fillers and Botox until AFTER your microneedling session (give it 2 weeks).
- Let your technician know if you’re on Accutane.
Taking proper care of your skin after a microneedling procedure is
essential to achieve the best cosmetic results.
Recommendation # 1
Refrain from taking anti-inflammatory medications for a week following the procedure.
Recommendation # 2
Avoid applying ice to your face and stay away from using arnica/bromelain as they may hinder the natural inflammation process crucial for skin rejuvenation.
For at least two weeks post-procedure, avoid sun tanning and extended exposure to direct sunlight. After the initial 24 hours, always apply sunblock (SPF 30 or higher, UVA & UVB) and consider wearing a hat when outdoors.
To manage any discomfort or soreness, you may use pain relievers like Tylenol.
Microneedling is a brief, non-invasive aesthetic procedure with minimal
side effects, but it is normal to undergo the following healing stages:
Experiencing a sensation similar to sunburn is common. The skin might feel stretched, parched, or sensitive. Handle your skin delicately, cleansing with a mild wash and cool water, patting dry gently no sooner than 4 hours post-procedure.
Redness or slight bruising might appear, lasting 5-7 days, and minor swelling could persist for 2-4 days.
Abstain from vigorous exercises inducing sweat, as well as hot tubs, saunas, and steam rooms for a maximum of 48 hours.
After 24 hours, you may start using solely mineral makeup.
To minimize swelling or discomfort, sleep on your back, keeping your head elevated.
Peeling might commence 3-5 days post-treatment due to increased skin cell turnover. Please avoid picking or scratching the treated area!
Allow the old skin to shed naturally and ensure the skin remains hydrated. Consult your skin specialist for guidance on suitable products.
Once the irritation subsides, you may resume your regular skincare regimen. Continuous skin improvement is usually observed in the subsequent months following the final treatment.
For enhanced results, consider scheduling subsequent microneedling sessions every 4-6 weeks. A series of 3-5 sessions is typically recommended based on your personalized skincare plan
Any questions? Email or call our office!